Re: Oracle Standard Edition & RAC

  • From: "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 20:56:52 +0000

I did wonder whether I'd been clear enough... I intended 200 - 500 not 2-500
:). I agree with the sentiment about outsourcing, though I'm not sure I'd
ever agree with outsourcing a business differentiating system even it had
only 1 user.

There are an awful lot of systems out there that have time to do batch stuff
(like stats etc) overnight, that would arguably do index creation out of
hours as well and don't do 300M worth of data transfer/redo generation in a
10 minute window of normal use, let alone per second. A rather surprising
number of these people believe they need/have been sold/want to imagine that
they are large enough to need EE and not a 'Workgroup' product. I disagree
with them:)

On 1/4/07, Kevin Closson <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Well on systems with 2 or 4 processors typically doing small amounts of
work at a time for say 2-500 concurrent users and often with an overnight
window for batch, how much benefit is PQO in practice? I'd probably also
suggest that if you do want PQO then there is a fair chance that you'll want
Partitioning as well, so you'd probably have to really, really want to make
that

…well, a modern two way can move about 350MB/s with PQO doing goodies like
index creation and statistics updating and only about 40-60MB/s without
it…and that has nothing to do with partitioning. With a decent SAN, a 2 node
cluster of 2 CPU servers can scale that as well. I can see how a 2 user
system could do without PQO, but then a 2 user system should not be
capitalized by a company opting instead for hosted I should think.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA