Re: Oracle Standard Edition & RAC

  • From: "Alex Gorbachev" <gorbyx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 19:44:53 -0500

A single node 4 CPU SE should scale even better than 2 node x 2 CPU SE
RAC so using SE RAC for scalability is luxury and company doing so has
way too much money.

Availability? Well, besides Oracle licensing, HA environment requires
fair amount of investment if it's really HA and not just "reported" HA
because of RAC.

If company with HA requirements can't justify cost of EE and RAC
option in addition to the infrastructure behind then they really have
to think about changing their business model and/or IT architecture.

…well, a modern two way can move about 350MB/s with PQO doing goodies like
index creation and statistics updating and only about 40-60MB/s without
it…and that has nothing to do with partitioning. With a decent SAN, a 2 node
cluster of 2 CPU servers can scale that as well. I can see how a 2 user
system could do without PQO, but then a 2 user system should not be
capitalized by a company opting instead for hosted I should think.

--
Best regards,
Alex Gorbachev

The Pythian Group