Re: Oracle Licensing on VMware

  • From: Martin Klier <usn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NJN@xxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 16:53:43 +0200

Hi Niels,

VMware features do not matter for Oracle licensing - in fact, VMware
does not matter for Oracle licensing at all. They tread it like any
other OS-Layer, and like any other 3rd party cluster technology.

But I recently was told by an Oracle official of EMEA/Germany that the
DO make a difference when talking about the edition decision. Usually
you'll have to sum up all CPUs in a cluster to decide if you need SE1,
SE or EE. But as it seems NOT for VMware, in this case only the hardware
size of the biggest machine in the cluster counts.

I was not able to find an official Oracle document to verify this, but I
asked him for it and was promised a link.

Regards
Martin Klier

--
Usn's IT Blog for Oracle and Linux