Re: Oracle Licensing on VMware

  • From: Paresh Yadav <yparesh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Freek.DHooge@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 14:01:13 -0400

May be this is a right time to ask.... Do we need to purchase license for *non
production servers* where Oracle database is installed? I have heard many
answers (listed below) over last 15 years including Oracle reps and will
love to get a definitive answers.
   - No license purchase is necessary for non prod instances
   - Yes, but only after the project goes live
   - unlimited non prod licenses are covered by becoming Oracle partner
   - Yes but never bother as Oracle never bothers about Auditing non prod
   instances
   - Test instances are treated just like prod instances. Above scenarios
   applies to Dev instances only
   - Probably there are few other answers that I can't remember

The Oracle database licensing doc is here in case
http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/pricing/databaselicensing-070584.pdf it
helps!

Thanks
Paresh