Re: Oracle Licensing on VMware

  • From: Patrice sur GMail <patrice.boivin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NJN@xxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 10:00:03 -0300

Better yet... is Oracle on VMWare supported at all for production
environments?  Your employer might not care though.  Certainly Oracle
Support techs do try to be helpful, as much as possible.
I haven't been able to find an Oracle tech note stating clearly that they
DO support Oracle installations VMWare... they tend to say if there is a
problem they can't reproduce, you will have to migrate to a non-VMWare
environment to see if the problem still exists for you.  Probably because
in VMWare, Oracle has little control of what happens with the server
resources.
Oracle does offer OracleVM.
Same holds true for all Microsoft product, except they offer Hyper-V.
Try to find an MSDN or Microsoft Support tech note stating categorically
that they *do* support Microsoft software like SQL Server in production on
VMWare.

If you can point me to Oracle Support articles stating clearly that they do
support VMWare, do let me know.
Same holds true for Microsoft products.

--

-- Patrice