RE: Oracle 10g for Windows

  • From: "Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 15:34:01 +0000

Comments interspersed

> * No decent scheduler.  Yes there is 'at'.  Like I said...

Scheduled tasks
=20
> * Installing Perl on win32 with all needed modules has
> become a monumental pain in the rear.

Fair comment

>=20
> * Why can't MS provide a semi-decent code editor.
> Yeah, notepad. Right.

I'd say that wordpad was semi-decent and the vs.net ide was superb(but cost=
ly).=20

> * Command line utilities.  You think unix/linux is arcane?

I *think* that it depends on what you are familiar with. I'd also not use t=
he command shell for scripting but the windows scripting host.=20
>=20
> * The fact that an incredibly robust PIPE implementation is built in,
> but there is no access from the command line.  And that=20
> Oracle is built
> with the MS stdlib ( think that's the sitation ) so even
> when you get 3rd party tools that work with PIPE's, they won't work
> with Oracle.

:(=20

> * The fact that there are still drive letters.

I can't get too excited about drive letters v mount points, but in windows2=
000 upwards you do have a choice.=20

> * That MS has *finally* got around to offering unix like=20
> utilities, but
> wants $100 for them, on top of the money you've already paid=20
> for the OS.

:(=20

> * That it took until Win23k for MS to design the system to allow
> different versions of apps to have different versions of DLL's.
> Lesse, we've been doing this on unix for 30 years or so?

That must be why the linux install guides are so easy and never include ref=
erences to the right glibc libraries :(=20

>=20
> * The stupid Oracle home selector that is strictly a GUI.

I've always ignored it.=20

> Mind you now, Oracle runs just fine on win32.  It's maintaining it and
> working with the environment that is so annoying, and made difficult
> where it shouldn't be.

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
Audit Commission
+44 117 975 7805=20

This email contains information intended for
the addressee only.  It may be confidential
and may be the subject of legal and/or
professional privilege.  Any dissemination,
distribution, copyright or use of this
communication without prior permission of
the sender is strictly prohibited.