Re: OpenSource : MySQL or Postgress

  • From: "Juan Carlos Reyes Pacheco" <juancarlosreyesp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Hemant K Chitale" <hkchital@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 09:32:04 -0400

did you check the price of oracle database one?

Anyway you can play with this.
For example if people making decision tells you,
you have to use xxx databaes now.
Your weapon is to tell him, well with that database it can take 3
months, because we need to study, test that everything works ok,
recreate several libraries.
Meanwhile with Oracle we can take 1 month.
And this is not a time you can skip, because there can be surprises in
the way another database works.

The positive is that 2 additional months gives you a knowledge to
start developing in that database.
But maybe the investment you will have to pay in that 2 months to dba
and developers could be the same than buying a new license.

If you show them the hidden costs and additional problem of managing
two types of database (for example to connect between them, etc.) You
can make them change of mind.