RE: OpenSource : MySQL or Postgress

  • From: "Michael Fontana" <MFontana@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <hkchital@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ORACLE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 15:32:18 -0400

I personally believe Postgres will cover more of your requirements.

Requirement "e" will mean getting a license for enterprise postgres, and
I strongly recommend paying for support as well.

Good luck.  It's not a bad product!

> We are considering OpenSource for less critical databases
> to reduce Licence and Maintenance costs.
>
> MySQL apparently does have Annual Fees (or Support).
> Does Postgres have Annual Fees ?
>
> Technically for
> a) databases of upto 10GB
> b) concurrent user counts of upto 25
> c) single instance databases without replication
> d) Apache/JBoss kind of application servers
> e) 24x7 with requirements for Hot Backups
> f) implementaion on Linux
>
> what seems better ?  MySQL or Postgress.

I personally believe Postgres will cover more of your requirements.

Requirement "e" will mean getting a license for enterprise postgres, and
I strongly recommend paying for support as well.

Good luck.  It's not a bad product!

PS - I'd bet your management thought "opensource" meant free.

Check the dictionary.  Both literally and figuratively, there is
absolutely NO CONNECTION between the words/phrases opensource and free!