Re: OID vs Oracle Names Server vs TNSNAMES.ORA vs MAD

  • From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: stephenbooth.uk@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 21:51:41 +0200

Stephen,

Actually to replace tnsnames.ora you can use about any LDAP server (it's different with single sign-on, enterprise roles and the like but finding what an alias means is a simple matter). You can even do it with OpenLDAP:
http://home.nc.rr.com/jtlayton/oid2openldap.html

Since you already have AD, the choice of the LDAP server is already made, but you can use OpenLDAP for a proof of concept. Works quite well according to my tests.

HTH

Stephane Faroult

stephen booth wrote:

IIRC ONS is deprecated so would be a bad idea to implement.  I'd be
most likely wanting to look at OID or some alternative directory.  We
do use Microsoft Active Directory, which I'm aware that Net8 can use
as an alternative to OID.  Can anyone point me to an overview of the
issues around doing that.  The main issue I can envisage coming up is
our directories team being unwilling to let anything they don't
control writing to the directory so anything that might assuage their
fears would be most useful.

Thanks in advance.

Stephen