OID vs Oracle Names Server vs TNSNAMES.ORA vs MAD

  • From: stephen booth <stephenbooth.uk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 20:26:06 +0100

My line manager grabbed me just as I was leaving today to say that one
of our departments is thinking of implementing  Oracle Names Server,
currently they're using tnsnames.ora files on each desktop.  The
application they're using is a COTS  Forms fat client application.

I've never used ONS (or OID for that matter), only ever needed
tnsnames.ora ,and never come accross it on a course so all I really
know about it is what I've picked up from the documentation (I've
found that Oracle documentation tends to be great for telling you how
to do stuff but less good at telling you the whys and why nots of
choosing to use a particular technology).

I have a vague reccolection of attending a talk at the 2004 UK Oracle
User Group conference, or maybe the 2003 conference, where the
relative pros and cons of Oracle Names, tnsnames.ora and OID were
outlined.  I've searched the UKOUG site library and Googled but can't
seem to find the slides.  Does anyone happen to know where I could
find the slides from that talk or a document that covers the same
ground.

IIRC ONS is deprecated so would be a bad idea to implement.  I'd be
most likely wanting to look at OID or some alternative directory.  We
do use Microsoft Active Directory, which I'm aware that Net8 can use
as an alternative to OID.  Can anyone point me to an overview of the
issues around doing that.  The main issue I can envisage coming up is
our directories team being unwilling to let anything they don't
control writing to the directory so anything that might assuage their
fears would be most useful.

Thanks in advance.

Stephen