Re: OID vs Oracle Names Server vs TNSNAMES.ORA vs MAD

  • From: stephen booth <stephenbooth.uk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: DGoulet@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 22:29:47 +0100

On 21/09/05, Goulet, Dick <DGoulet@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Tried that, it failed because people were copying the file locally,
> futzing with it so that database names were as they desired & then
> complaining when the system replaced their definition of TNS_ADMIN.

There's a good chance we'd run ito something similar.  Whilst some
users will run just that one app, others will run two or more apps
that have to access their own backend Oracle databases.
Unfortunately, this being a city council, if those apps 'belong' to
different departments the chance of getting the application support
teams to co-operate on a single TNSNAMES.ORA file other than on the
local machine are zero.  Possibly less than zero.

An advantage of ONames, if I'm understanding it correctly, is that you
can set the clients (in sqlnet.ora) to try the ONames server and then
fail over to a local TNSNAMES.ORA file if that doesn't resolve the
name.

Stephen