Re: Moving db to linux

  • From: Ray Stell <stellr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 09:15:37 -0500

> I cannot find the patch you mentioned in metalink: 3208258, can you find it?

Sorry, I refused to go there, so I never tried to find any of these
"fixes".  Just did a patch search, but found nothing.  Oracle support
might be able to figure it out.  I think it is silly to do these
patches.  Backleveling the kernel opens all sorts of security holes.
This does not seem like a reasonable choice and is not reasonable
support from the vendor.

Another interesting note along this path.  I was trying to confirm
the 10g cd I had burned was valid, so I ran the 10g installer on my
desktop Mandrake 9.x linux box.  I run a 9i db for testing on it.  There
are probably workarounds here, but I find it interesting that they would
do this:

[oracle@moria mnt]$ uname -a
Linux moria 2.4.19-36mdk #1 Fri Nov 28 21:15:25 MST 2003 i686 unknown unknown
GNU/Linux

[oracle@moria mnt]$ ./runInstaller
Starting Oracle Universal Installer...

Checking installer requirements...

Checking operating system version: must be redhat-2.1, UnitedLinux-1.0 or
redhat-3
                                      Failed <<<<