Re: Moving db to linux

  • From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 23:41:11 -0500

On 02/25/2004 11:19:48 PM, Tanel Põder wrote:
> > Oracle supports Ext2 and OCFS, not Ext3. Ext3 has occasional problems
> > with corruption. As for OCFS, I'll give it a second look it on Saturday,
>
> Mladen, Oracle doesn't certify file systems individually. Oracle certifies
> operating systems, so any file system that runs on standard RHAS will be
> certified.

When I said "certify", I mean "supports direct I/O". I know that oracle
doesn't certify file systems, but I was pestering oracle support until I
got a very senior support technician who told me that they'll be
releasing patches for direct I/O on ext2 (this was 9.2) and  that OCFS
supports direct I/O. The patch was released, but I can no longer find it,
which probably means that it was retracted. There was a recent patch for
direct I/O on NetApp. Oracle support told me that if FS supports direct
I/O, oracle should be capable of doing direct I/O on that FS. Well, IBM
JFS does support direct I/O and 9.2.0.4 was capable of doing it flawlessly.
Oracle 10g has a significant "feature" (feature number: 3446411) which
renders it unable to do direct I/O on JFS.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA