RE: Increasing certifications on oracle database, could increase reliability on dbas

  • From: "Kevin Closson" <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ORACLE-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 10:05:37 -0700

>>>Knowledge can be learned or refreshed by dipping into a book
>>>or website but all the knowledge in the world about Oracle
>>>isn't going to help you if the problem is on the network,
>>>the OS or the thing connecting the chair to the keyboard.
>>>Good problem solving skills take longer to learn and can be
>>>applied more generally.

... to analogize, I draw upon the skill of telling time. Certifications
only prove you know what time it is.

... I always look at it this way. I'd rather work with someone
that knows how a clock works, and how to tell time,  than someone
who knows what time it is. I have recruited many senior software
engineers over the years and that principle has always paid off.
I also rejected loads of candidates that had certifications and
degrees well beyond anything I can claim. In fact, my personal
experience is that heavily certified/degreed personnel tend
to not deliver in the commercial world. Back to the time telling
analogy, the overly certified/degreed personnel tend to
toil with the metallurgy of the clock, as it were, more than they
should.