RE: Increasing certifications on oracle database, could increase reliability on dbas

  • From: "Mercadante, Thomas F \(LABOR\)" <Thomas.Mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <john.hallas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Juan Carlos Reyes Pacheco" <juancarlosreyesp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 08:54:05 -0400

I agree with you John.  If I possessed an OCM, nobody would understand
what it meant (except for folks on this list).  I would spend more time
convincing people that it means "something" to potential employers.  As
a comparison, it would be kinda like authoring a ton of Oracle books and
then using them to show my "experience level".

This is a tough sell when applying for contractor positions where
employers are trying to get the best person within a limited budget.
When push comes to shove, it's the bottom line that counts (cost vs. an
esoteric OCM certificate).  And they really don't care if I spent a ton
of money and time to get the OCM.  They want to know that I can do the
job and work within their organization.

For me, I do not see the value of the OCM.  And the OCP is used more as
a tie-breaker than a requirement around here.

Just my 2 cents.

Tom

This transmission may contain confidential, proprietary, or privileged
information which is intended solely for use by the individual or entity to
whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any disclosure, dissemination, copying or distribution of this
transmission or its attachments is strictly prohibited.  In addition,
unauthorized access to this transmission may violate federal or State law,
including the Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1985.  If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by
return e-mail and delete the transmission and its attachments.