RE: Documentation for reasons to NOT use RAC?

  • From: Don Granaman <DonGranaman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "development@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <development@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "ganstadba@xxxxxxxxxxx" <ganstadba@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 10:15:07 -0600

"In that respect I really liked Forms and Report"
Hmmm.  Maybe you had different versions than we had, but one of the few things
I've found that absolutely refused to work with "a decent TAF tnsnames.ora
entry" was Oracle Forms.  I couldn't tell you the version or exact symptoms as
it is was half a lifetime ago, but I did find:

Note ID: 248583.1
"Developer applications do not support TAF as there is no great advantage in
using it"
[...]
"As per now there are no current plans to support TAF in Developer."

Note only did Forms not support TAF, but if they connected using a TAF-enabled
alias, they bombed out - even in "non-failure" normal operations  After filing
a TAR, we had to create tnsnames.ora entries with no failover at all for Forms
to even work.