Re: Dataguard - primary database moved to another server

  • From: Mladen Gogala <mladen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 14:21:10 -0500

On 03/25/2004 02:08:31 PM, Josh Collier wrote:
> I concur that opening the primary resetlogs will kill the standby. You have
> no choice but to recreate it from scratch. You can use switch over method to
> move the primary around. Set up a standby on the target server (the one to
> which you wish to move the primary), get it caught up, then use switchover
> to move the primary there.

It is a logical thing to happen. After opening the primary database with
resetlogs,
all the previous log sequences are discarded and forgotten. The archive log
that the
standby wants to apply next no longer exists. The next log coming is number 1,
which
will confuse the heck out of the poor standby, just like my humor. Yeah,
opening the
database with the resetlogs is not the best thing to do if there is a standby.