Re: Dataguard Exadata -> Database Appliance

  • From: Freek D'Hooge <freek.dhooge@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: development@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 20:18:48 +0200

Hi,

For me it depends on what is expected from the DR environment.
If management is fully aware that it will only will allow to run in a
somewhat restricted way, I don't have much problem in using lesser
hardware for a DR site.
Just make sure you have a paper trail confirming their awareness ;-)

I have seen the combination exadata primary - oda standby being proposed
before, with virtualization enabled on the ODA
Reason behind is is that you can run on a minimal set of CPU's activated
on the standby site and only activate the rest when doing a failover.
As the primary site at that point no longer exists, you could argue that
you don't need additional db licenses.
(Now, that is something I would like to see confirmed in writing from
Oracle LMS   ;-)   )

Kind regards,

--
Freek D'Hooge