RE: Database in depth, by C.J. Date

  • From: "Lex de Haan" <lex.de.haan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mgogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Oracle-L (E-mail)'" <Oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 20:17:12 +0200

If you really like mathematics, like Mladen and me, Chris' book is indeed rather
"thin". I agree.
I think it is incredible to write a good book about this stuff in only 240 pages
-- then you have to make some tough decisions here and there. Also, don't forget
Chris wrote this book with a one day seminar in mind...
For more formal stuff, you might want to read his thicker books, like his
wellknown "Introduction to Database Systems" or (even better) the "Third
Manifesto", as a foundation for future database systems.

Then, for the real fanatics, I would recommend "Foundations of Semantic
Databases" by Bert de Brock, published by Prentice Hall (ISBN 0-13-327099-8).
That's the real stuff, without any compromises. I love it. I only know a few
people who share that opinion with me, by the way.

kind regards,

Lex.

Steve Adams Seminar http://www.naturaljoin.nl/events/seminars.html