Re: Database in depth, by C.J. Date

  • From: <rjsearle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jsb@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 09:47:26 +1000

Hi Mladen,
 Well I think this depends on your individual perspective.
 I agree your observations of commercial realities. I think this is
universal for all practitioners. However I also believe that were it not for
the R&D (which also involves mathematical rigour, commercial technologies
like relational databases might not exist. I thought that RDBMS's were a
result of Codd's early work which is *very* mathematical. So as
practitioners, we should perhaps be mindful of the input such activities
have on our commercial worlds.
 ALso, I remember reading one of the reviews of Date's book where the intent
was stated as restating the theoretical basis of RDBMSs without much of the
mathematical basis. I haven't read it yet although I'd like to, if I could
only find the time between work and family commitments. I guess this book is
like the practitioners intro to relational theory. Does this match the
perspective of those who have read the book?
 I imagine that those who want to read the mathematical basis of these
theories might find what they seek in Codd's original works
 Just another opinion worth about $0.02
 Russell Searle