Re: Data Mirroring on two data centers -- How to use ASM ?

  • From: Tanel Põder <tanel.poder.003@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Edgar Chupit" <chupit@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 20:39:45 +0800

I wondered if anyone brings the HARD up ;)

I haven't really seen nor heard anybody using it. HARD basically means that storage subsystems know where the checksum bytes and relative data block address bytes reside within a block plus few extra trivial checks. However the situation isn't as bright as Oracle's doc states.

There are several limitations and fundamental problems, like what to do with detected blocks which checksum bytes don't match the content of the block. One option is to write the block to disk and alert storage administrator/DBA for post-diagnostics. This means that the corruption will get replicated to DR site - and that's a problem.

Other option would be to reject the corrupt write, causing Oracle to retry it. If we are lucky and the error is transient, the processing continues, but if not, then Oracle has to take the datafile offline. And if the datafile happens to be in system or undo tablespace, your services (and instances) are pretty much dead.

EMC offers a discard option as well, that the corrupt block write are just silently thrown away, but that's the last thing we want to happen..

Another issue is that there must be no abstraction layers such filesystems between storage and Oracle. You have to use RAW devices and have to make sure that the blocks written to storage aren't moved around in higher layers as the correct block address checking relies on comparing the physical address on raw volume to the RDBA stored within block header.

Read more: http://www.emc.com/pdf/techlib/EMCDoubleChecksum.pdf

Also, it seems that the interest in HARD initiative has slowly died, the last certified DB version is 9.2:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/availability/htdocs/vendors_hard.html

Kevin probably knows stories from the field, if anyone actually has used successfully... Kevin, wake up ;)

Tanel.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Edgar Chupit" <chupit@xxxxxxxxx>