RE: Data Mirroring on two data centers -- How to use ASM ?

  • From: "Kevin Closson" <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 23:27:26 -0700

>>>One benefit of using storage level replication is that it
>>>doesn't require much DBA work to do it.
>>>
>>>But if your primary database crashes
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
        The concept of a "primary database" is just way out of
       date.  We support customers that require DR for 100+ databases.
       In these terms you have to consider the ridiculous number
       of DataGuard "circuits" to achieve such DR. The only way
       to cover such a large number of databases' DR requirement is
       to coalesce at the SAN level.

        It all comes down to cost. If you can afford to care about DR,
       you might care to afford reasonable communications
infrastructure.

        But then, I'm sure there is some open source project of utter
       brilliance percolating in the halls of some college dormitory
       in outer Gangrenolia that will solve all such concerns.