Re: Data Guard question.

  • From: "Ron Rogers" <RROGERS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rognes@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 07:41:24 -0400

Good Morning to everyone,
 I thank you for your replies and information. It helped clear up a lot of =
questions and has given me a solid direction to go in.
 Now just to convince MGT about the need to have a HA procedure in place.
Thanks again,
Ron

On May 27, 2005, at 12:37 PM, Ron Rogers wrote:

> 2. Currently I use RMAN nocatalog mode for the backups of the =20
> production =3D
> database to disk. It appears from what I have read the when I use =20
> RMAN and =3D
> Data Guard I have to use a catalog. IS this a true fact? Can you =20
> point to =3D
> a doc that clears this question up?

If you run RMAN against your standby database and want to be able to =20
use the backup to recover your primary you need the catalog. There =20
are no other way for the primary to "know" about the backups created =20
on the standby. As long as you're running RMAN on the primary you are =20
fine running nocatalog.
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96566/=20
rcmbackp.htm#446035

Sten