Re: Data Guard question.

  • From: Mark Bole <makbo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 08:08:02 -0700

Point taken.  In practice I do in fact keep the standby directory
structure as identical as possible to the primary, using symbolic links
as you mention.

Here is an example of how I might normally use these parameters.  As you
can see I am only changing a single component of the path name, which is
nowhere near the head of the path (using OFA):

db_file_name_convert = 'oradata/qa1', 'oradata/stby1'
log_file_name_convert = 'admin/qa1', 'admin/stby1'

The best antidote for a stressful failover situation, of course, is
practice in advance... ;-)

Keeping backup systems (or test systems, for that matter) _too_
identical to the primary can cause problems in other direction -- for
example, if rebuilding a standby, when I type that "rm -f" command to
remove the old set of files, I like to see explicitly from the pathname
that I really am removing my standby, and not (accidentally) my primary.

Carel-Jan Engel wrote:

> Mark, Ron,
>
> I strongly disrecommend using the ..._FILE_NAME_CONVERT parameters. Not
> for technical reasons, but from the point of view of robustness of
> managing your systems.
>
> Immediately after a failover you're in a stressfull situation. Keeping
> in mind that the structure you're working on is different makes the
> situation even more error-prone.
>
> So, try to keep the structures as symmetric as possible. Even when you
> have only one big disk available, create a directory tree that resembles
> the tree on the primary, albeit with symbolic links.

[...]
--
Mark Bole
http://www.bincomputing.com