Re: Data Guard question.

  • From: Mark Bole <makbo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 12:47:46 -0700

Ron Rogers wrote:

> List,
>  I have been looking into using Data Guard as a method of providing HA is =
> the company decides it is an option they want to invest in.
>  The question that I have are.
> 1. Using a physical database as the Data Guard, does the second server =
> have to have the exact same physical equipment for the disks or does it =
> just have to be the same directory structure? [...]

Doesn't even require that, since a physical standby can be on the same
machine as the primary if desired.

Check the Data Guard manual for the section "Standby Database Directory
Structure Considerations" and the DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT and
LOG_FILE_NAME_CONVERT parameters.

--
Mark Bole
http://www.bincomputing.com