Re: DR Exercise: Restoring a rac/hacmp oracle home to a non-rac non-clustered host.

  • From: fmhabash <fmhabash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Finn Jorgensen <finn.oracledba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 08:04:23 -0500

Yes. When you install oracle on a hacmp'd aix node, the OUI will detect it and install/link the kernen with the RAC option. In my situation, I do have HCAMP running now and the db is s 2 instance cluster. Now, the catch is for any db running on this node (even if not RAC), you must have hacmp running to start any database. If not, you will have the infamous error

ORACLE instance started. Total System Global Area 2520746368 bytes Fixed Size 743808 bytes Variable Size 2483027968 bytes Database Buffers 33554432 bytes Redo Buffers 3420160 bytes ORA-32700: error occurred in DIAG Group Service For DR, if I restore the same $ORACLE_HOME I have now, db will not start since we are not planning to have HACMP restored and running. Therefore, My only option is to use a non-rac linked home. The question is what is the best way to do this. These are my options ...

- restore the $ORACLE_HOME on the DR node and relink with the rac_off option.
- find an existing non-rac home and use it to clone to the DR node.
- prepare a silent install script to install a brand new $ORACLE_HOME without
rac option.

I would like to exercise the first option. But, so far I did not see that it
worked for those who tried it from my research.

Any ideas will be welcomed.
Thank you