Re: Controlfiles just got overwritten

  • From: Tim Gorman <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 17:28:32 -0600

Maureen,

About 4 years ago, or 26 years into my IT career, I dropped an index on a 60 Tb table with 24,000 hourly partitions; the index was over 15 Tb in size. It was the main table in that production application, of course.

Over a quarter century of industry experience as a developer, production support, systems administrator, and database administrator; if that's not enough time to have important lessons pounded into one's head, then how much time is needed?

My supervisor at the time was amazing. After the shock of watching it all happen and still not quite believing it had happened, I called him at about 9pm local time, and told him what occurred. I finished speaking, and waited for the axe to drop, for the entirely-justified anger to crash down on my head. He was silent for about 3 seconds, then just said calmly, "Well, I guess we need to fix it." And that was it. No anger, no recriminations, no humiliating micro-management. We launched straight into planning what needed to happen to fix it.

He got to work notifying the organization what had happened, and I got started on the rebuild, which eventually took almost 2 weeks to complete.

I hope you had the same experience. Because it truly happens to all of us. And anyone who pretends otherwise simply hasn't been doing important work.

Hope this helps...

-Tim

On 7/17/14, 17:01, Maureen English wrote:
I ended up recovering the database from a backup done the day before and rolling forward.

I also modified my instructions for recreating a standby database. Instead of 'cp -p' to copy my standby control file to the appropriate directory on the standby server, I will now use 'cp -pi'.

I'm still feeling badly for making this mistake, but I'm amazed at how understanding my coworkers
have been.

- Maureen

On 7/16/2014 11:00 PM, Justin Mungal wrote:
How did it go? I've been in situations where the current control files were no longer valid. Sometimes recreating them
has been the simplest thing to do.

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 5:23 PM, Maureen English <maureen.english@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:maureen.english@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

I just did one of the stupidest things in my life and overwrote our production
    database control files with a copy of the standby controlfile.

I have a backup of the real control files from yesterday afternoon, but we've been up and running all day. Is there an easy way to recover my control files
    and be back running any time soon?

    - Maureen
    --
//www.freelists.org/__webpage/oracle-l <//www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l>