Re: Controlfiles just got overwritten

  • From: "David Fitzjarrell" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "oratune@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "maureen.english@xxxxxxxxxx" <maureen.english@xxxxxxxxxx>, Justin Mungal <justin@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 18:56:06 -0700

"You must never feel badly about making mistakes," explained Reason quietly,
"as long as you take the trouble to learn from them. For you often learn more
by being wrong for the right reasons than you do by being right for the wrong
reasons."

Norton Juster, "The Phantom Tollbooth"

David Fitzjarrell
Principal author, "Oracle Exadata Survival Guide"

On Thursday, July 17, 2014 5:01 PM, Maureen English
<maureen.english@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I ended up recovering the database from a backup done the day before and
rolling forward.

I also modified my instructions for recreating a standby database.  Instead of
'cp -p' to copy
my standby control file to the appropriate directory on the standby server, I
will now use 'cp -pi'.

I'm still feeling badly for making this mistake, but I'm amazed at how
understanding my coworkers
have been.

- Maureen