Re: Auto Extend On, Increment By

  • From: "goran bogdanovic" <goran00@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Joel.Patterson@xxxxxxxxxxx" <Joel.Patterson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 17:22:23 +0100

since you didn't mention what are your recovery requirements and how fast
your datafiles/databases are growing, what I meant, if you set autoextend on
datafiles, the datafiles can grow so to say as long as there are place on
storage...in case you have to recover some of the datafiles, restore and
recovery of 50GB datafile is not the same as of 5GB datafile...or your
environment is such that this is not relevant...in such case, please ignore
my e-mail :-)

On 3/22/07, Joel.Patterson@xxxxxxxxxxx <Joel.Patterson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 What?

I your thinking that dozens of files are going to extend and cause longer
recovery times because they might have 10Mbs of extra space in them, (with
RMAN that's not even an issue), when the files are in the 20's of GBs (that
is a miniscule amount of space), ….then it has been considered.

Joel Patterson
Database Administrator
joel.patterson@xxxxxxxxxxx
x72546