Re: Auto Extend On, Increment By

  • From: "goran bogdanovic" <goran00@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Joel.Patterson@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 14:02:40 +0100

Hi Joel,

In setting autoextend on I would consider recovery requirements too...

Regards,
Goran

On 3/15/07, Joel.Patterson@xxxxxxxxxxx <Joel.Patterson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 I have proposed to have all datafiles on all databases autoextend with
and increment size of 1280 blocks, (10Mbs).

size of the datafile and how rapidly it's increasing in size.  How to
measure growth.

My reaction is like:  Being consistent does not mean behavior will change
in each situation.   For datafiles that do not increase… they won't
autoextend anyway.   For datafiles that do extend, the ones that grow less
will not extend very often.   One datafile may extend once per week, and
another twice a year.  You don't have to have a 'size' that is proportional
to how fast it grows.

I'm wondering what the communities reaction is before I respond.

Joel Patterson
Database Administrator