RE: 64 node Oracle RAC Cluster (The reality of...)

  • From: "Kevin Closson" <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mwf@xxxxxxxx>, <Rich.Jesse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 10:05:54 -0700

another point is that since it is shared data,
parallel query can do function shipping instead
of data shipping like all the other shared nothing
approaches. IPQO is a naterual for RAC, and even though
it is smart to implement OLTP application partitioning
(Oracle does this in their datacenter implementation
by the way), there are plenty of tasks that benefit
from the shared-disk parallel query implementation
in that same env (ever build a large index ? :-) )

The ironic thing about RAC and its shared-disk
approach is that it is only the database that Oracle
cares to implement with shared-disk. All the maintenance
is done with replication/propagation without a
replication engine (e.g., OUI doing simple rcp of
goodies to the many sundry Oracle Homes)

Kevin Closson
Chief Architect, Database Solutions
PolyServe
www.polyserve.com