RE: 64 node Oracle RAC Cluster (The reality of...)

  • From: "Kevin Closson" <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:03:33 -0700

 >specifically aimed at OCFS (which is another thing I don't
>know much about!)

I do. OCFS is a "datafile container" 100% geared to
direct IO. Not sufficient for executables, and
nobody has ever argued that fact.

Peter is aware of my opinion due to my postings
on the OakTable :-)  I think it is wrong to call
anything a filesystem unless it supports the
filesystem API (e.g., glibc on linux, Win32 on Windows).
If there are barbs and bombs to be encountered simply
accessing files via the filesystem API (glibc) then
let's just not call it a filesystem at all, and
therefore not a cluster filesystem.

Summary? If the OS can't demand page text from
binaries efficiently, it isn't a filesystem ...
'cause at that point it certainly wouldn't
support mmap nor positional locks and would likely
be troubled by other bread-and-butter FS
operations.

Kevin Closson
Chief Architect, Database Solutions
Polyserve