64 node Oracle RAC Cluster (The reality of...)

  • From: "Marquez, Chris" <cmarquez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:28:11 -0400

===========
http://www.oracle.com/webapps/dialogue/dlgpage.jsp?p_dlg_id=4070697&src=4050521&Act=5

Oracle ? Sun Grid Computing

While IBM's fastest computer costs you $5,041,771, for a Grid of 64 Sun Opteron
Servers you spend only $504,567.

You can adopt Grid technologies with minimal investment, zero disruption, and
fast ROI, starting with three steps:

    * Standardize on low?cost, modular servers and storage with Sun Grid Rack
Systems.
    * Consolidate distributed servers and storage with Oracle Database and Real
Application Clusters.
    * Automate server and database with easy-to-use management software from
Sun and Oracle.

Of course, you need to be willing to spend less.
===========

I have never put my hands on >2 node Oracle OPS-RAC Cluster.
I have only heard of a few *real world* production 4 node Oracle RAC Clusters.

I can't really imagine the *true* reality, simplicity and power of 64 node RAC
cluster.

Maybe I just not a forward thinker....but I think this would be a big pain.

Man...I love Oracle more just as much as anyone, but they need to put a cooler
on their marketing dept.
Sad thing is that those who love and know Oracle most, are most cynical about
their advertisements!
 :o|

Was talking to some co-DBA's today...one DBA said a funny thing;
The only "silver bullet" Oracle has, is their User Manuals!"

The more you read...the more you know...and the less you believe...

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA