[optacon-l] Re: turning up intensity

  • From: dacoleman@xxxxxxx
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 21:25:09 -0600

> I tend to change the threshold but keep the intensity all the way up.

Hi, all

     My late wife, Rita, taught me from the beginning of my using the
optacon to run the intensity control wide open and the threshold
control as low as possible for a good signal.  Oh, there I go, using
ham radio lingo in relation to this optacon practice!  Th ere's a
reason.  Old hams like me on this list--Don Bishop, perhaps--will
remember when we read Morse code on those antique receivers.  We ran
the audio gain control (here, read "intensity" control) all the way
up and the radio frequency gain (here read threshold) down just to
the point where the code would come through without blocking the
receiver, giving you an undistorted signal.  I think there's an
analogy here somewhere!

Regards, Don