RE: Some comments on the Optacon

  • From: "Pam Drake" <pamdrake@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 00:56:03 -0700

Bob,

You remind me of one afternoon when I returned to my desk from lunch and
found a note on my desk.  I figured it was handwritten but decided to try
it.

As I moved the camera along the print I read, "Grimes...hosp...hours...

I shot up from my desk and practically ran to the supervisor's desk, sure of
what the message was telling me.

Indeed, my friend whose last name was Grimes was in the hospital and was
expected to be there for at least 48 hours.

Although I couldn't read the full message, just those few abbreviated words
told me this was something that  needed immediate attention.  Not only was I
able to call her and found she had slipped on an icy sidewalk that morning
and had gone to the hospital on an emergency basis, but I was able to go to
the drugstore on my way home from work, pick up a toothbrush and a couple of
items she needed, and take them to her.  Without the Optacon I might have
just tucked the note somewhere and waited for help, provided of course I
hadn't  forgotten the note by the time I found someone to read it.

Of course there are times when speed is important and it's faster and easier
to ask a sighted person, but when there's no one around, which is often if
not usually the case, I find the Optacon is usually the quickest and most
reliable way to do what needs to be done.