[optacon-l] Batteries and labeling

  • From: MikeD <donegan@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 00:40:56 -0500

As a sighted person, I looked at the batteries, including
Alkaline, NiCad and NiMH (Nickel metal hydride)

I only looked at AA (R6) size batteries, first I weighed them

Duracell Alkaline and No-name Alkaline (1.4 Volts) 23g and
also Alkaline rechargeable
There was a small indention around the negative end

Three brands of NiCad (1.2 Volts) - 16 to 22g - older low
power capacity (500 - 800 Mah)
There was a small indention around the positive end

Three brands of NiMH (1.2 Volts)- 27g - high power capacity
(1600 - 2300 mah)
There was a small indention around the positive end

Description
All of the batteries had some kind of brand name written
along the longitudinal axis,
most had a readable font, though a few had a graphics brand
label. The font was
about 3/16 in (1/2 cm) high
Just below and above the brand label were lines indicating
the cell chemistry
(Alkaline, NiCad, NiMH), and one of the lines listed the
voltage and current capacity.
This font varied in size, some the same size as the brand
font but others were quite small

David's comments about usage are significant, also please
note, NiCads and NiMH
need to be charged, at minimum every 60 days, use the
rechargeable as long
as possible between charges but do charge after 60 days even
if not used.

MikeD