[opendtv] Re: Who is Al Boliska?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 13:41:54 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> This may be one of those liberating moments when function begets
> form. There is obviously a market for light sources that
> "interoperate" with the older technology they are replacing.
> Hence, if you can create a light bulb replacement with the same
> base and form factor, you maintain the life and viability of
> existing lamps and light fixtures. But we may also see the
> integration of light sources into the physical form factor of
> next generation light fixtures, or walls and or ceiling that
> simply glow...

We've already been through at least one generation of such new lighting
technology, with the fluorescent lamp. It showed that yes, new fixtures
can be created by the new technology, and also yes, older lighting
fixtures continue to be in at least as high demand as they were before.

One nice aspect of LED-based lights is that they're supposed to allow
for continuous color adjustment. At least, those that create white light
by mixing the primary colors together. This would be a great improvement
over fluorescent lights, that never seem to be quite what people want.

Some time ago, I read that LEDs would also be used for such applications
as automobile headlights and photoflash units. You already see them in
common use for so-called "parking lights" in cars today and in the signs
used in public transportation vehicles.

As to contuining to use the Edison base, the screw-in light bulb
standard, that is a very convenient design for something that needs
regular replacement. It makes a lot of sense even for fluorescents, IMO,
e.g. as Tom descibes. LEDs should not require replacement, so perhaps,
like transistors to circuit boards, LEDs can also be soldered directly
in the light fixture.