[opendtv] Re: Who is Al Boliska?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 12:33:00 -0400

At 12:11 PM -0400 9/5/06, Tom Barry wrote:

I carry a little key chain LED flash light that is very bright and supposedly can last for about 12 hours on a single AAA battery. Good tech.

And for some years now I've used the energy efficient spiral florescent light bulbs at home, also more energy efficient.

But a couple months ago I spent a few hours cruising around the net looking to replace those bulbs with screw in LED bulbs. For the most part I failed to find any LED bulbs that gave the light equivalent of more than about 20 watts incandescent. It was something of a disappointment to me but it doesn't appear the LED tech is quite there yet for normal home consumer use. But I'll keep watching for them.

Tom

This may be one of those liberating moments when function begets form. There is obviously a market for light sources that "interoperate" with the older technology they are replacing. Hence, if you can create a light bulb replacement with the same base and form factor, you maintain the life and viability of existing lamps and light fixtures. But we may also see the integration of light sources into the physical form factor of next generation light fixtures, or walls and or ceiling that simply glow...