[opendtv] Echostar make or break September 12

  • From: John Willkie <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 12:14:33 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Some may have thought that my posting last week on Echostar was to harsh.

Here's something the court of appeals wrote "We have found no indication that
EchoStar was ever interested in complying with laws regulating how satellite TV
companies deliver broadcast stations to their customers."

No evidence, NO INDICATION.

I haven't read the court papers, but the September 12 hearing sounds like an
"Order to Show Cause" type of affair.  In other words, absent something VERY
strong, VERY new, which wasn't previously disclosed, if Echostar doesn't show
cause why their illegal and legal out-of-market local tv subscribers shouldn't
be shut off, they will be shut off.  And, this means even the ABC, CBS and NBC
signals, not just fox.

If it comes to pass, it will be a multiple hundred million hit on Echostar
revenues, and will increase churn.

Timing?  That's up to the judge, but it's highly likely that the order will
take near-immediate effect. Maybe the judge will give them 48 hours to
effectuate the turn-off, but immediate could mean immediate.

A very interesting eight days, indeed.  "Chickens" may "come home to roost."

John Willkie

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6368032.html?display=Search+Results&text=echostar