[opendtv] Re: Echostar make or break September 12

  • From: Barry Brown <barrysb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 17:32:16 -0400

I've been lurking on this list for several years and finally have to get something off my chest regarding Echostar just to show how stupid is this whole situation. I became an Echostar subscriber in 1997. At that time I told the CSR who setup my account, that due to a nearby water tank just off the beam to the antenna farm of my locals (about 35 miles away) and thick foliage of 50' trees on the beam about 100 ft away, my reception of high VHF and low UHF was downright lousy even using an high-gain directional antenna. So, without much further conversation, I was able to subscribe to ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox and PBS East and West national feeds. Everything was fine until a few years ago when Echostar finally offered LILs in my area. They asked me whether I wanted to subscribe to the locals. I told them no. Soon thereafter, they discontinued my service on ABC, NBC, PBS, and Fox, the first three being my worst channels, totally unwatchable except maybe for emergencies, and left me with CBS East and West, the only VHF channel network service that is received without problem on my antenna. I tried the waiver process but no deal. As a result, I've not watched any network programs on ABC, NBC and PBS for two years and watch CBS network on satellite and CBS affiliate local news OTA. Soon, I'll be switching to digital, which may solve most of my problems or maybe give me more headaches. Who knows.

Yes, Echostar, may be to blame for undercutting the copyright laws but in my case it was working, but I'm seeing the time when I might not care to watch any more network TV at all.

Barry Brown