[opendtv] Re: Variety.com: Comcast Offers HBO Without Other

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 22:19:39 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> It would be revolutionary IF IT WERE TRUE.
>
> But you continue to read into this statement something IT IS NOT.
>
> The correct interpretation is:
>
> As long as you can keep the customer connected to the cord and they
> pay for HBO delivered via that cord, you can also allow the subscriber
> to access HBO Go via the Internet.

And you miss the part that matters!

The words say, we will make HBO available as a stand-alone channel, as long as
the MVPD network also OFFERS a paid TV package of some sort. Which means,
Craig, the customer can be buying only the IP broadband service from this
MVPD/ISP, using that service only as pure ISP service, and we'll sell the guy
HBO stand-alone. The customer DOES NOT have to buy any TV bundle at all.

This is huge. Especially given that the majority of US broadband households get
their broadband via an MVPD/ISP these days (I include FiOS in this). It's
basically HBO saying, we understand that the MVPD walled gardens are becoming
unwalled thanks to their Internet broadband service, and we are ready to play
in that arena. Who is being left out, Craig? Not many. Perhaps ADSL users like
me, but that's about it. Even networks like AT&T Uverse, with ADSL2+ and IPTV
service, would qualify.