[opendtv] Re: Variety.com: Comcast Offers HBO Without Other

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 03:41:59 +0000

Dan Grimes wrote:

> I see at as just another bundle, albeit fewer things bundled.  From my
> understanding, it doesn't offer a "basic cable" package, it only offers
> FOTA broadcast channels, something I am already getting for free.

Dan, you glommed the two different topics together like Craig did.

1. Internet Plus. Yes, that is "another bundle," although only created because
these two MVPDs could see that the masses are getting restless (even though
Craig remains a loyal MVPD subscriber).

2. Bewkes separate statement about offering HBO by itself, as long as the
MVPD/ISP also *offers* pay-TV channels. No stated requirement that the
subscriber even needs to buy a basic-basic tier. For example, such a package
could be offered strictly as Internet TV. No MPEG-2 TS broadcast streams at all.

These are two completely different topics. Both are important changes, but #2
is far more revolutionary.

> My current rate is $50/month for internet.  I don't think $20 or
> $30 per month to only add HBO is a deal at all.

The question to ask is what is the total cable bill for people who subscribe to
HBO now? I'll bet it's usually more than $100/mo.

> Just curious, are you signing up Bert?

Of course not. I don't have a lot of interest in HBO. Like I said already, I
get all the TV I'm likely to watch as is, and then some. And some of the
acclaimed series, like The Wire and Sons of Anarchy, are downright DEPRESSING.
Yuck. (My wife occasionally grumbles about wanting HGTV.)