[opendtv] Re: Variety.com: Comcast Offers HBO Without Other

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 10:30:11 -0700

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

"Nothing to see here.

"Yes, it is a slightly different twist on "walled garden" bundling, but it
is still a relatively expensive package - after the introductory
discount."

Bert wrote:

"That's why I added that quote from Jeff Bewkes, Craig, and highlighted it
in my intro. Because otherwise, I figured you would just dismiss this as
another bundle. Even then, though, it's one heck of a different bundle,
which never would have been offered were it not for cord cutters, Craig.
Even that final $69.95 price is very low, considering you're getting
broadband and a basic-basic tier, plus HBO. Take away the broadband price
and you're left with something similar to extended basic. Not bad for a
premium channel."

I see at as just another bundle, albeit fewer things bundled.  From my
understanding, it doesn't offer a "basic cable" package, it only offers
FOTA broadcast channels, something I am already getting for free.  And it
looked to me as if the price was only an introductory price (looking into
details, it looked to me like the final price was $79.99).

My current rate is $50/month for internet.  I don't think $20 or $30 per
month to only add HBO is a deal at all.

In my opinion, I don't think this is the system consumers are looking for.

Just curious, are you signing up Bert?

Dan