[opendtv] Re: VHF Stations Seek Solutions for Reception Problems, by Doug Lung

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 00:53:37 -0400

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
Thanks, Dale.

Cliff Benham wrote:

Does this also mean that a circularly polarized receive antenna is
also a *single channel* antenna as well?

Aha. I think I see what you're asking. Like, can CP antennas be used for
transmitting MIMO-like signals. Sounds like no is the answer. For that,
you want the maximum possible isolation between the polarities. Here,
ideally, they would be identical and just phase-shifted.

No.
I was asking about a circularly polarized antenna being used only for receiving TV signals.

If a circularly polarized antenna has a 90 degree phase delay between the H&V elements
then it follows that it is only good for one frequency.

This is because the 90 degree delay line is only 90 degrees at one particular frequency.

At a lower frequency it would be less than 90 degrees. At a higher frequency it would be more than 90 degrees

Therefore a circularly polarized TV antenna used for receiving is only a "single channel" antenna.