[opendtv] Re: VHF Stations Seek Solutions for Reception Problems, by Doug Lung

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 10:42:45 -0700

Good info,  though I couldn't read the IEEE article, not being a member.

The WRAL DTV tests were always somewhat suspect in my mind:

    I believe they utilized the same transmitter coupled into the H-pol and
CP antennas. If so, that would effectively make the CP signal 3db less than
that of the H-Pol system (using a standard H Pol receive antenna).

    If one uses a standard H pol receive antenna for the comparison testing,
assuming equal signal intensities, CP and H-Pol results will seem to be
identical (in a generally free space environment).
However, if one uses a CP receive antenna, the reception from CP is
superior. Also, such testing should include marginal antennas and
orientations and a multipath environment (where DTV CP should be superior
with modern DTV receivers.)

Dale

        From: Dale Kelly <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
        Subject: [opendtv] Re: VHF Stations Seek Solutions for Reception
Problems, by Doug Lung
        To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Date: Monday, June 29, 2009, 3:48 PM

        Bert wrote:
        "Doug Lung always has interesting insights":
        I've known Doug for a number of years and he has always been a
reliable
        source of information and analysis.

        "One of them is use of circular polarization":
        CP simply works and at all frequencies, though possibly better at
some than
        others. I have constructed and/or tested a large number of CP
facilities for
        VHF and UHF TV as well as for FM radio. It significantly improves
reception
        where marginal antennas exist and where CP receive antennas are
used.
        Before CP. FM radio was virtually useless in automobiles until that
        transmission mode was adopted by broadcasters.

        It has been said by some, but with no supporting evidence that I
know of,
        that CP won't work well for DTV. However, I know of no reason why it
will
        not improve reception in all services and it seems to me that DTV
mobile
        simply will not work without it.

        Dale