[opendtv] Re: Use their spectrum? Now that is a threat!

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 09:03:02 -0500

At 7:19 AM -0500 2/4/05, Tom Barry wrote:
>The broadcasters seem to be getting absolutely frantic worrying that
>they might have to find a business model for actually broadcasting OTA.
>
>I guess they have only a few more day to persuade their pet
>Congresspersons to write more letters to the FCC to squelch the vote.

The FCC voted on this in 2001. All of this noise is about reversing
that decision, which is NOT going to happen.

You can be certain that the networks and big station groups are
talking to their Congress critters; not about the FCC vote, but
rather about legislation that MIGHT survive another court review on
the taking of property grounds that almost did in Must Carry in 1997.

The business model is obvious. Free multi-channel TV.

How to get there from here is the big problem.