[opendtv] Re: Use their spectrum? Now that is a threat!

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 12:38:14 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>At 7:19 AM -0500 2/4/05, Tom Barry wrote:
>

>>The broadcasters seem to be getting absolutely frantic worrying that
>>they might have to find a business model for actually broadcasting OTA.
>>
>>I guess they have only a few more day to persuade their pet
>>Congresspersons to write more letters to the FCC to squelch the vote.
>>

>The FCC voted on this in 2001. All of this noise is about reversing
>that decision, which is NOT going to happen.
>
>You can be certain that the networks and big station groups are
>talking to their Congress critters; not about the FCC vote, but
>rather about legislation that MIGHT survive another court review on
>the taking of property grounds that almost did in Must Carry in 1997.
>
>The business model is obvious. Free multi-channel TV.
>
>How to get there from here is the big problem.
>
>Regards
>Craig

I disagree. Getting there from here is simply the arrival of a working
and reasonably priced 8-VSB receiver. LG's 5th gen will work.

BTW the MIT MDP 130

http://www.mitinc.co.kr/mitinc/e_site/prod/prod_mdp130.jsp

Does not use the ATI Theater 310 so I am still looking for an ATI 310
based receiver to test.

Bob Miller