[opendtv] Re: Use their spectrum? Now that is a threat!

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 08:47:41 -0500

inline ...

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>>>How to get there from here is the big problem.
>>
>>I disagree. Getting there from here is simply the arrival of a working
>>and reasonably priced 8-VSB receiver. LG's 5th gen will work.
>
> Technology FOLLOWS business decisions, it does not lead them.

It does both.  There is both a supply side and a demand side to business
decisions.  Management wants to produce what they can sell to customers
and these decisions are based upon the demand side.  This is mostly all
that marketing people see.  But there is also a supply side of
technology management decisions that somewhat comes out of engineering.

Often this is seen as a negative force that just says "Oh, we can't do
that'.  But it is the supply side of technology that determines which
products can be effectively produced and which can't.   Since customers
don't even always know which technology solutions may be possible the
often won't ask specifically for some possible product until it is
obvious.  However they (and marketing departments) will ask for Dilbert
type scenarios that are beyond current possibilities.  I've often used
the analogy that it could be proven there is a demand for anti-gravity
or flying cars, but a small problem in the implementation.

But once there is a proven design then you can start matching it to
demand.  I had previously taken the news of the Zenith 5'th gen chip
tests at Mark's as a sign of this.

> If the FCC decided next week to "let the market decide" on modulation
> - the original Sinclair proposal - nothing would change.

Can't argue, probably still true at this point.

> If you can create a viable mechanism, by which existing broadcast
> licensee's can migrate to a new infrastructure for multi-channel  FTA
> broadcasting, then the right business decisions will be made, which
> will result in the choice of the best technology to reach the maximum
> number of homes...reliably!

The transition is far enough along that cheap ATSC STB's (5'th gen) that
worked with set top antennas would probably be enough to push it over
the edge and get it all rolling very soon.  This would open up the
various possibilities for OTA being a business, at least assuming we can
make the multi-must-carry fantasies go away.

But it relies on new technology that is not being sold yet.  Otherwise
the HDTV transition is probably just a transition to nicer cable
pictures (which is coming along just fine).

- Tom