[opendtv] Re: U.S. mobile TV spec in the works

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 13:23:19 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

>> But I may be wrong with that interpretation. "Backward compatible"
>> can also mean that MPH streams can coexist with standard 8-VSB,
>> just like A-VSB can, and just like DVB-H can coexist with DVB-T.
>
> I would wager that is the correct answer. The goal is to have the
> robust bitstream not break existing receivers. There are no "magic"
> modes hidden in old receiver that would make them magically 'wake
> up' to a new robust mobile stream.

Nothing magic. Some time ago I suggested that maybe one could transmit
several streams of the same program, each one interleaved differently,
as done for turbo coded transmissions. The receivers set up for this
decode one robust stream.

Existing receivers would be able to demodulate one of the streams,
potentially, if one of these streams was set up like standard 8-VSB. But
existing receivers would not be able to demod the other(s), due to the
different inner interleaver. This would be what I consider "backward
compatible," although it may not be as robust as alternatives.