[opendtv] Re: Time to give up on 1080i for football

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 07:14:24 -0500

You missed the point, and you continued to perpetuate the notion that something IN THE STANDARD has to change to make the TV chain progressive.

True. stations could decide to emit only progressive formats.

But this is not the same thing as requiring them.

IF we had made the decision to "require" progressive formats in the ATSC standard - as many of us pushed for - the receiver would have been less complicated and the delivered image quality significantly higher.

The REALLY BIG mistake was not 1080i, but allowing 480i. It is possible to do a MUCH BETTER job deinterlacing legacy 480i material with a high quality conversion box at the station than with a $20 chip in the receiver. Furthermore, there would have been an incentive to move to 480P production for entry level applications.

Instead, many broadcasters continue to emit only interlaced formats.

The truth is that we do not need FORMATS at all. Entropy encoding tools can deal with any size raster, which can be defined in the metadata. The key is that the rasters be frame based. With this simple prerequisite, a receiver would simply scale the source to the local display resolution, or a window within the local display raster. THIS IS EXACTLY THE WAY THINGS WORK WITH COMPUTERS AND INTERNET BASED VIDEO CONTENT.

As we have discussed many times, production formats SHOULD oversample relative to emission encoding.

More on this in a separate response.